2018's Special Events
The Simulation Century – The Leap from Big Data to Immersive Intelligence
Our sixth annual session will address the growing issue of managing the human/ machine interface as we hurtle towards the Singularity. We will continue our discussion of how to achieve fluency with smarter balance between humans and machines to optimize outcomes. The Simulation Century Panel presentations this year will focus on technologies that immerse us more deeply in digital simulations.
Moderator: Mr. Richard Boyd, CEO, Tanjo, Inc.
- Mr. Richard Boyd, CEO Tanjo
- David Smith, CEO Vision
- Stephanie Trunzo, VP Globant
- Jason Jerald, Co-Founder NextGen Interactions
- Dr. Robert Furberg, Research Health Informaticist, RTI
Senior Leader Panel
Senior Leaders from Government and Industry will share their insights on successfully executing a digital strategy, which includes the integration of M&S into an organization's core value chain. Panel will discuss the critical elements that make up a digital strategy. Following their comments, attendees will have the opportunity to ask questions and gain a better understanding of the issues facing these leaders and the issues that M&S technology transformation can potentially address.
Moderator: RADM James Robb, USN (Ret), President, NTSA
- Pekka Sivonen, Finnish Funding Agency for Innovation (Invited)
- Brigadier General Henrik Sommer, Assistant Chief of Staff Capability, Engineering and Innovation at Headquarters Supreme Allied Commander Transformation
- Margaret Palmieri, Director, U.S. Navy Digital Warfare Office
- Patrick Lincoln, Computer Science Laboratory, SRI International
M&S Challenge Competition Presentation
The M&S Challenge Competition is a unique event where talented individual use the power of M&S to solve problems important to their community, government, business or industry sector. Developers, analysts, and subject matter experts participate in this competition and demonstrate the power of M&S. The four teams selected for the finals will present their projects and answer questions from the judges. Live audience voting will be included in the scores for selecting the overall best M&S solution. All conference attendees are encouraged to attend this event and vote
Innovation Corner: Virtual and Mixed Reality Showcase
In conjunction with the Innovation Panel @ MODSIM, the Innovation Corner is dedicated to demonstrating technologies that are pushing the envelope. We're packing VR, Haptics and Genetic Engineering into the Innovation Corner for 2018. Stop by, check out the demos and chat with Innovation Panel speakers at this unique event
- VR Haptics Demonstration: JANUS Research
- CRISPR Gene Editing Demo: Plas.md
- HoloJOC HoloLens Joint Operations Center: Engineering and Computer Simulations
MODSIM STEM Event
The MODSIM STEM event provides the conference a unique opportunity to contribute directly to the school experience of the youth who are just beginning to formulate their dreams for the future. The US Department of Commerce projects that growth in STEM occupations, like those in modeling and simulation (M&S), will outpace the growth in other occupations at nearly twice the rate. Developing solutions for climate change, energy sustainment, infrastructure, biomedicine, epidemiology, national security, and more requires STEM literacy. To become our nation's future innovators, our students need to not only understand technology but also embrace science, engineering, and math. STEM needs to excite and inspire our digital natives. During the MODSIM STEM event, approximately 125 area high school students will get the opportunity to see firsthand the world of M&S. Students will rotate through hands-on M&S demonstrations provided in the exhibit hall to see STEM in action.
Defense and Homeland Security Panel
Use and Advancement of M&S Technologies for Defense and Security
The moderated panel discussion will highlight the innovative use of technology and data to facilitate:
- Complex decision making in areas such as cyber and energy security, spectrum management, acquisition and interoperability
- Advanced training and education, including blended and distributed learning
Moderator: LCDR Chris Davidson, Royal Australian Navy.
- Dr. Van Brewer, External R&D Principal, Advanced Distributed Learning (ADL) Initiative
- Dr. Syed Mohammad, Director, HSARPA Modeling and Simulation (Invited)
- Dr. David Fautua, Chief, Individual Training & Learning, Deployable Training Division, Joint Staff J7, Training (Invited)
- Brian Vogt (LTC, USA), NATO Allied Command Transformation (Invited)
Simulation for the Common Man: How do We Make M&S Accessible?
Given the power of insight and learning that simulation provides, you might question why simulation is not more widely used. This facilitated interactive brainstorming session intends to discuss this question and others to try and understand how our M&S community can reach new users and decision makers. Part of our goal is to try and understand what our equivalent to the “got milk?” slogan would be. All attendees welcome.
External Event: Modeling and Simulation Coalition (NMSC) Workshop
The National Modeling & Simulation Coalition (NMSC) is an unincorporated, voluntary, nonprofit coalition sponsored by and composed of government, industrial and educational organizations and professional societies having a common interest in promoting and leveraging M&S to better the human condition and to strengthen the National well-being. The mission of the NMSC is to create a unified national community of individuals and organizations around the M&S discipline and professional practice and to be the principal advocate for M&S. This event is a meeting of the NMSC. Please join us even if you are not already a member!